According to the American Academy of Dermatology:
- Acne is the most common skin condition in the United States, affecting up to 50 million Americans each year.
- Approximately 85% of people 12 to 24 experience minor to severe acne.
- Acne can occur at any stage of life and can continue into adulthood.
So is it just a breakout, or is it more than that? Everyone experiences issues with their skin from time to time. Sometimes they are stress induced or a result of dietary choices, but how do you know if it’s more than that? If you’re dealing with blemishes that cover a significant portion of your face or body, you have a lot of redness and inflammation, your blemishes are deep and painful, or you have notable scarring, you may be experiencing severe acne.
Severe acne can be uncomfortable and even painful, but what’s more is it can have a negative effect on your self esteem. But how do you know it’s time to see a dermatologist for help?
Ask yourself these three questions:
- Have you tried over-the-counter creams and cleansers without much success?
- Is the acne affecting your confidence and the way you feel about yourself?
- Are the blemishes painful or scarring?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of these questions and your acne is affecting your everyday life, it’s likely time to see a dermatologist. Your skin specialist can help you find customized solutions to treat your severe acne in a healthy and effective way. From tweaking your skin care routine, to prescription creams, or even oral medications, there are treatment options you can discuss with your doctor that will get you on the road to clearer, healthier skin.
If you or your child is dealing with moderate to severe acne, our team at Galen Dermatology would love to help find a custom solution. Our team is passionate about healthy skin and want to help you navigate these difficult skin issues. We are here for you. Contact us today to get an appointment scheduled with one of our board-certified dermatologists.